World Refugee Day: Do You Stand #WithRefugees?
Today is World Refugee Day. Did you know that around the world, 1 in every 113 people have been forced to flee their homes? That means there are more than 65.3 million people who are suffering due to conflict, persecution, and human rights violations.
Middle East Collective, UNHRC (UN Refugee Agency), and other organizations hope you will publicly show your support for families who have been forced out of their home countries. UNHRC states,
In September 2016, global leaders agreed to work towards a Global Compact for refugees in 2018 where all parts of society stand together #WithRefugees and do their fair share instead of leaving individual states to bear the burden of mass forced displacement.
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE REFUGEE CRISIS? Read some of the stories and poems on our website to get a better grasp on why World Refugee Day is such an important day to recognize.
- A Christian Collects Stories From Muslim Refugees
- Not Just a Number: The Real Face of Refugees in the United States
- For Syria, When Night Comes
- It's Time to Remove the Price Tag on the American Dream
WANT TO HELP, BUT YOU'RE NOT SURE HOW? You can start by signing the UNHRC's petition here. This petition asks global leaders to make sure:
- Every refugee child gets an education
- Every refugee family has somewhere safe to live
- Every refugee can work or learn new skills to support their families.
Please share this post with your colleagues and friends, so they will learn more about World Refugee Day. Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on facebook to get more updates about how to stand #WithRefugees!